Shalbhasana or Locust pose was named after a great yogi Shalabh who disclosed this pose to cure the back problems. Shalbhasana or locust pose is a prone asana and it is practised after lying on the stomach.
This asana is practiced empty stomach after lying on the ground. It might practice in two ways:-
Gently lie down in prone position, straighten legs, palms facing up, pointing the toes and hands apart from the body.
- Inhale and lift up one of the legs at 60 degrees.
- Place the other leg’s foot underneath this leg for supporting Sacrum.
- Hold your breath until the lungs allow.
- Settle Pelvis and lower back properly. Tighten the Hip region. Pressure should be on shoulders.
- With exhalation slowly bring both of the legs down to the floor.
This method is practiced after lying down and placing the hands under the thighs, both legs are lifted up, pointing toes and squeezing the buttocks.
- Take a deep breath and exhale. It will make body at rest. At the same time place your hands underneath thighs.
- Inhale and lift up both legs at same time. Breath should be hold on for 30 seconds.
- Tighten Gluteus, align the body and pressure will come on shoulders.
- When it is hard to stay there longer after exhale come back to the ground after placing legs over there.
Benefits of Shalbhasana
Shalbhasana or Locust pose is contra pose of Bhujangasana. In Bhujangasana when upper body is mostly active, it activates below spinal area and becomes more flexible. There are the benefits of Shalbhasana as under:-
- It allows blood to circulate on the waist and lower body which makes it more stable.
- All organs of stomach are exercised with this asana, it helps to cut off extra fat from abdomen.
- Leg muscles are strengthened and legs become more flexible.
- A person suffering from Sciatica should practice this pose in routine. Daily practice of this asana is helpful to get rid of this problem permanently.
- It supplies fresh oxygenated blood to the stomach and it supplies to Kidneys, Pancreas, big and small intestines.
- This posture has a great impact on Adrenal glands to work smoothly.
- Shalbhasana develops strength on the nerves of hands, legs and back.
- It activates Urinary and Excretory system for detoxifying body.
- It gives a nice shape to the body and body becomes full of Tejas or shine.
- Shalbhasana is excellent for awakening Mooladhara chakra and for improving digestive fire.
People who are suffering from Slip disk problem should avoid it. It is also advisable not to practice for them who have heart problems or abdominal surgeries.
Note: Have a look on our You Tube channel Yog Niketan Dham for Yoga related videos:
Have a look on other article on: