Surya bhedi or Surya bhedna Pranayama is made of two words Surya(Sun)+ Bhedi(piercing). It is one of the most important Pranayama which is mentioned in the Bible of Yoga, Hatha Yoga Pradipika. As per Yogic mythology left nostril is called Ida or Chandra nadi(moon nostril) and right nostril signifies Surya or Pingla(Sun nostril). Hatha Yoga Pradipika defines Surya bhedi Pranayama as:-
“Asane sukhade Yogi, badhdhawa chaiwasanam tat;
Daksha nadya samakrisya bahi stham pawnam shanah.”
Sitting comfortably, the Ygi should become fixed in his posture and slowly breathe the air in through night nostril.
As Yoga propounds that in our body the place of Sun is close to the navel which has heating impact. In this practice we breathe in with right nostril and exhale out with the left nostril. Suryabhedi Pranayama pierces Pingala and activates prana shakti in this nadi.
The Gherand Samhita says Suryabheda,’’Prevents old age and death, increases the body heat and awakens Kundalini.” (5:62,63)
How to practice Surya bhedi Pranayama
- To choose a comfortable meditative pose most probably Siddhasana.
- Erect the spine and to attain steadiness.
- This Pranayama should be practiced on an empty stomach. It might practice 5-10 minutes.
- Bring all the attention on Prana energy. Close the left nostril with two fingers.
- Gently inhale with right nostril and make retention of breath.
- To practice Jalandhar and Mool bandha at same time as much as possible.
- Practice to exhale out through left nostril in a deep manner.
- Keep practicing same another 5 to 10 rounds.
Benefits of Surya bhedi Pranayama
- It cures all diseases that are caused by insufficiency of oxygen in the blood.
- It is an ideal practice to boost the appetite.
- Very helpful for increasing the digestive fire.
- It pierces Prana in the navel by which Manipur Chakra is activated.
- Best for awakening Kundalini shakti.
- To improve the immunity of body.
- If there is too much cold sensation in feet and hands, it should be practiced.
- To cure vata dosha.
- This Pranayama is the best to cure cold, sinuses, bronchitis and Asthma problems.
- It has also tremendous working in Leucoderma and other skin related disorders.
Precautions to practice Surya bhedi Pranayama
- If Pingala nadi predominates during the day, it is not advisable to practice.
- Pingala activates sympathetic nervous system and body is heated, it should not be practiced.
- In case of high blood pressure it should be avoided.
- If you feel dizzy or uncomfortable please stop practicing it immediately.